Escuela Cantabra De Surf
1991 : This is the year that the Escuela Cantabra de Surf (ECS) was founded. Without any reference in Spain and having our ideas really clear, it born under a philosophy, which remains untouchable till today: to transmit our ideas and our knowledge about the surfing world. To bring near this marvellous sport to the people & try to make them understand that surfing is not just a sport, but a way of living.
Without any help & with the same illusion that we maintain today, we began our way. Every day we came from Santander to Somo by boat, carrying on our own surfboards & wetsuits. That summer we had 20 pupils.
That was the beginning of the ECS, a new project that changed our lives for ever.
The Escuela Cantabra de Surf & Bodyboard was born in 1991, at Somo Beach (Cantabria); it’s placed at the other side of Santander´s bay, capital of Cantabria, one of the nicest touristic places in the north coast of Spain, due to its beauty and touristic possibilities.
Somo beach is one of the surfing references in Spain; one of the most consistence beaches in Spain, due to its orientation towards the open sea and it receives good waves and good swells all year around. If there are no waves here, probably there won’t be waves nowhere in the north coast of Spain.
The Escuela Cantabra de Surf is placed at 1st line of the beach, in front of one of the best beach breaks of Somo; over 7 kms of white sand and perfect beach breaks.
The Surf School
* The Escuela Cantabra de Surf is the pioneer in Spain in teaching surfing.
* During all those years, many national and international surf teachers have collaborated at the school, impregnating it with the experience and the professionalism which has right now.
* Highly qualified instructors in surf, first aids, life guarding, by the National & European Federations.
* Classes for all levels: beginners, advanced & competition.
* Classes for all ages, from 7 yrs old till…..you put your own limits.
* Youngers, under age 18, must fill up an application form signed by their parents/ tutors.
* The best material and installations in 1st line at the beach.
* We are open from the 15th of March till the 15th of November.
* We separate the groups by ages and surfing skills.
* Small Groups.
* Individual classes.
* Special discounts available for groups, schools, high schools, universities, school trips…
* Real surfers who will teach you real surfing from Day 1.
* Classes available in Spanish, Italian, English…
* We are open every day and give classes on a daily basis (monday-sunday).
* There are also classes of 1 week, 15 days, 1 month…
* You can ask for other type of courses, days, schedules…flexibility.
* The Camp is placed inside a 1st category camping, close to the beach & to the school.
* The prices include accommodation + breakfast + lunch.
* We sleep in good tents. There are different sizes.
* You just need to bring your own sleeping bag & your staff.
* There is the possibility of booking just the accommodation, without the meals & the surf classes.
* There are different packages. Ask for other types of camps.
* We recommend to come into the camp on *Sundays afternoons.
* Before getting into the Camp, you must pass through the Escuela Cantabra de Surf, to fill up an application form.
This is the year that the Escuela Cantabra de Surf (ECS) was founded. Without any reference in Spain and having our ideas really clear, it born under a philosophy, which remains untouchable till today: to transmit our ideas and our knowledge about the surfing world. To bring near this marvellous sport to the people & try to make them understand that surfing is not just a sport, but a way of living.
Without any help & with the same illusion that we maintain today, we began our way. Every day we came from Santander to Somo by boat, carrying on our own surfboards & wetsuits. That summer we had 20 pupils. That was the beginning of the ECS, a new project that changed our lives for ever.
LocationsSpain + Portugal » Santander (El Sardinero)Spain + Portugal » Playa de SomoSpain + Portugal » Los LocosSpain + Portugal » LangreSpain + Portugal » Santa MarinaSpain + Portugal » LiencresSpain + Portugal » El BruscoSpain + Portugal » Berria
ServicesSurf School Schools with qualified surf instructors offering lessons and courses with equipment hire to individuals or groups, whether you are a total beginner, an intermediate surfer or an experienced surfer looking to improve your ability. Accommodation Surfer friendly places to stay near some great surf spots. Including camp-sites, hostels, hotels, B&Bs and surf lodges. Surf Hire For surf hire, wetsuit hire, boots, hats, gloves, leashes and anything else you may need to go surfing. A range of surfboard hire is usually available, whether you want to rent an SUP, body board, mini-mal or short board. Surf Camp Surf camps can offer a variety of types of accommodation such as apartments, hotels, rooms, camping or dormitories together with food, surf lessons and group activities. Often included are guided surf tours of the best local spots along with surf hire, videos, photography, professional coaching and even some night life. Bed and Breakfast Businesses of this type offer both accommodation and include breakfast. Camping Somewhere to pitch a tent or park your camper van. Facilities vary but can include showers, barbecues, electricity and water hook ups as well as a shop and eating or picnic areas. Surf Shop Shops supplying surf boards, wetsuits, clothing, leashes, wax, deck pads, fins, DVDs and anything you might need to go surfing. Local Information Information about the local area, not always from a surfers perspective. Surf Guide Food and Drink From restaurants and cafes to night clubs, pubs and bars and everything in between. Watersport Centre Could offer a wide variety of water sports activities from coasteering and sea-kayaking to sailing, wakeboarding, climbing or even power boating, not forgetting surfing, stand up paddle, body boarding tuition and hire. Guided Surf Tours Experienced guides with local knowledge who offer surf trips and tours to the best breaks and secret spots by boat, 4x4 or bus. Womens These businesses specialise in working with women surfers or women wanting to learn to surf. Webcam These are either live cameras and video or a daily photo taken by a surfer. The former has the advantage of being up to the minute, the later is more likely to be taken to accurately reflect the current conditions - streaming video cams give the best of both worlds. Check the update date carefully. Weather Seasonal conditions, a cold, temperate or tropical climate, it's your choice of where you want to go.