x

Busy Hurricane Season Ahead

by on Wednesday 25th August, 2010   26696 Views

Hurricane Ike ... 2008 © 2014 NOAA

NOAA’s 2010 Atlantic Hurricane Seasonal Outlook is calling an 85 percent chance of an above normal season. Compelling when compared alongside a 10 percent likelihood of a ‘normal’ season and only a 5 percent chance of an inactive season. For us surfers it means the possibly of some great surf ala Hurricane Bill/Danny/Ida last year.

But a hyperactive season similar to a number of seasons since 1995 may possibly also bring terrible destruction, to which New Orleans can attest. Thus excitement must be tempered by being prepared. 2010 is further complicated in The Gulf by the continuing oil spill where high seas could set the clean-up process back substantially. 

[VIDEO-1358]
(Sterling Spencer and friends surf Alabama during Hurricane Ida in 2009 the strongest landfalling tropical cyclone during the 2009 Atlantic hurricane season: www.sterlingspencer.com)

NOAA:

An “active to extremely active” hurricane season is expected for the Atlantic Basin this year according to the seasonal outlook issued today by NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center—a division of the National Weather Service. As with every hurricane season, this outlook underscores the importance of having a hurricane preparedness plan in place.

Across the entire Atlantic Basin for the six-month season, which begins June 1, NOAA is projecting a 70 percent probability of the following ranges:

14 to 23 Named Storms (top winds of 39 mph or higher), including:

8 to 14 Hurricanes (top winds of 74 mph or higher), of which:

3 to 7 could be Major Hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of at least 111 mph)

“If this outlook holds true, this season could be one of the more active on record,” said Jane Lubchenco, Ph.D., under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator. “The greater likelihood of storms brings an increased risk of a landfall. In short, we urge everyone to be prepared.”

The outlook ranges exceed the seasonal average of 11 named storms, six hurricanes and two major hurricanes. Expected factors supporting this outlook are:

Upper atmospheric winds conducive for storms. Wind shear, which can tear apart storms, will be weaker since El Niño in the eastern Pacific has dissipated. Strong wind shear helped suppress storm development during the 2009 hurricane season.

Warm Atlantic Ocean water. Sea surface temperatures are expected to remain above average where storms often develop and move across the Atlantic. Record warm temperatures - up to four degrees Fahrenheit above average - are now present in this region.

High activity era continues. Since 1995, the tropical multi-decadal signal has brought favorable ocean and atmospheric conditions in sync, leading to more active hurricane seasons. Eight of the last 15 seasons rank in the top ten for the most named storms with 2005 in first place with 28 named storms.

Hurricane Noel ... 2007 © 2014 NOAA

“The main uncertainty in this outlook is how much above normal the season will be. Whether or not we approach the high end of the predicted ranges depends partly on whether or not La Niña develops this summer,” said Gerry Bell, Ph.D., lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. “At present we are in a neutral state, but conditions are becoming increasingly favorable for La Niña to develop.”

FEMA is working across the administration and with our state and local partners to ensure we’re prepared for hurricane season,” said FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate. “But we can only be as prepared as the public, so it’s important that families and businesses in coastal communities take steps now to be ready. These include developing a communications plan, putting together a kit, and staying informed of the latest forecasts and local emergency plans. You can’t control when a hurricane or other emergency may happen, but you can make sure you’re ready.”

The president recently designated May 23-29, 2010, as National Hurricane Preparedness Week. NOAA and FEMA encourage those living in hurricane-prone states to use this time to review their overall preparedness. More information on individual and family preparedness can be found at www.Ready.gov and www.hurricanes.gov/prepare.

NOAA scientists will continue to monitor evolving conditions in the tropics and will issue an updated hurricane outlook in early August, just prior to what is historically the peak period for hurricane activity.

NOAA’s mission is to understand and predict changes in the Earth’s environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and to conserve and manage our coastal and marine resources. Visit us on Facebook.

Comments
Average rating of 3.6744 from 0 votes

26696 Visits -

Riding the Rabbit's Foot
10562

Riding the Rabbit's Foot

Shaper Ryan Lovelace's newest innovation in action

Video Polytunnels and Water-Tunnels | Growing Ep 13
3304

Polytunnels and Water-Tunnels | Growing Ep 13

Ferg Brings us some fun looking Rileys in episode 13 of his on-going series Growing

Video Waves Without Riders
4869

Waves Without Riders

Full Screen it, grab a brew, stick your headphones on and put your feet up

Video Your Tahitian Tour Guide – Kelly Slater
12448

Your Tahitian Tour Guide – Kelly Slater

Join the 11-time World Champ for a mind-blowing heli tour above the Teahupoo reef. Just don't expect him to share too many secrets this time

Video The 'Bagus' Life
6052

The 'Bagus' Life

Just another day in Indonesia's most populated island

Feature All the Action from Day 1
10206

All the Action from Day 1

A round up of the first day of action at the Billabong Tahiti Pro